Latest information on the safe operation and use of SHSC
Updated COVID precautions at SHSC in Step 4 July 22nd 2021
The government moved the COVID precautions in England to Step 4 on 19th July. Due to the increasing spread of the Delta variant, whilst this removed most of the legislation around COVID precautions, it has put the onus of organisations and individuals to keep everyone safe.
The RYA have updated their guidance, and their key message is:
How can we reassure people who are anxious about Covid-19?
While all legal restrictions around Covid-19 have been removed, everybody needs to continue to act carefully and remain cautious. Clubs can provide reassurance by:
- Demonstrating that you have created a safe environment and the RYA guide to creating a Covid secure environment at your club will help you achieve this
- Encouraging people to act carefully – test when you have symptoms, good personal hygiene, and follow self isolation guidance
- Help people manage their personal risk
- Enabling people to be outside or let fresh air in
- Helping people minimise the number, proximity and duration of social contacts
- Consider retaining rules on face coverings, social distancing (as much as possible) and one way systems
In doing so we create environments where people make their own choice about if and how to engage and participate again.
The Committee has reviewed the detailed RYA and government guidance and we have updated our procedures (Issue 8, attached). We have basically taken the view that on-water activity is low risk (as there is plenty of ventilation) but that any activity in the club-house is higher risk and we should therefore retain some of our existing precautions. Please read the procedures before you next come to the Club.
We will continue to review the guidance we are given and how our processes are working. We will continue to update them when necessary. As ever, “stay positive and test negative”!