‘Accelerating women to the top of sailing’
Congratulations to former Staunton Harold Sailing Club Commodore, Elaine Penhaul, who has just been appointed Chairperson of the Magenta Project. The Magenta Project which was started in 2015 by members of the all female ‘Team SCA’, who successfully competed in the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race campaign, is a collective of passionate sailors who are committed to creating equal access and opportunities for women in sailing. The Project works with a wide range of individuals and organisations to achieve this goal.
Elaine’s wealth and depth of experience – a lifetime in sailing, volunteering, coaching, developing individuals and groups, plus her strong links to the RYA, make Elaine a natural choice. Her professional life as a business coach, successfully changing mindsets and effecting cultural change within the workplace is something that The Magenta Project team will be looking to leverage.
Commenting on her new role Elaine said “As my friends know I am passionate about supporting more equity of opportunity within sailing at all levels. I feel honoured to have been appointed as Chair for The Magenta Project and am really looking forward to working with this inspirational group to create meaningful change.”
The Magenta Project
The Magenta Project focuses on a number of key areas within sailing:-
- Enabling opportunities for women in performance sailing through on water training, learning and development opportunities. TMP also supports career/skills development schemes and events and STEM activities in the marine industry
- Building networks and relationships that connect individuals and organisations and enable sailing knowledge, experience and opportunities to be shared
- Raising awareness of women in sailing and celebrating their successes and achievements
- Illustrating the need for change in sailing, provide solutions and share evidence of what works
- Influencing/advising on policy and offering support to event and race organisers to introduce change initiative
To find out more …
To find out more about the Magenta Project please go to their website – https://themagentaproject.org. Or, to offer your support please go to https://themagentaproject.org/take-action/ or email Elaine direct on email@example.com